To become a popular YouTube creator, you need to attract new viewers. It takes time and constant effort, but I have some helpful tips for you!
The following strategies will help you expand your reach: targeting correctly, search optimisation, clarity without context, collaborating with other authors, and creating content that viewers want to share.
Create videos for a narrow audience that other creators do not consider. These viewers love to find something familiar in the video.
Here are the options:
- Target the right audience across the entire channel. For example, if you are a gamer, you can dedicate your channel to one game. This will attract many of her fans.
- Target the right audience at the level of individual videos. Add videos for specific demographic groups, such as parents or teens.
- Create content for an undeservedly forgotten audience. Some user groups are rarely given attention in other media, and on YouTube, they have the opportunity to find like-minded people.
YouTube is one of the most popular search engines in the world. Study user requests and think about how they might be interested in your channel.
To make your content easy to find, follow my tips:
- Add videos on popular topics. Link your videos to the latest news and cultural events. You can find out what is currently being actively discussed in services such as Google Trends and Twitter Trends.
- Create useful content. Videos dedicated to tips for home improvement or personal care will always be relevant and interesting to viewers.
- Don’t forget about optimisation.
Comprehensibility without context
When creating new videos, keep in mind that not all users have watched the previous videos. New viewers should immediately understand what the issue is about.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Do not link the plot of the new video to the previous one. It should be understandable even for those who are not familiar with your other work.
- Add a summary. If possible, at the beginning of each video, tell your audience what you are talking about.
- Use a call to action linking to previous videos. Hints or end screens are good for this.
Collaboration with other authors
Collaboration is a great opportunity to expand your reach as well as build relationships with other authors.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Invite guests regularly. Think ahead of time in a format that will make it easy to do (for example, interviews.)
- Contact the authors of channels with similar topics. Find people who shoot videos in the same genre or for the same audience and share your interests. Their subscribers will most likely like your channel too.
- Present guests in a good light. Make sure you give the invited contributor proper attention in your video. If collaboration brings positive emotions to other creators, joint videos will work better, and your guests will be happy to promote your channel in their videos.
The content you want to share
Users often send videos they love to family and friends. This is how new audiences discover your channel.
Here’s what motivates viewers to share:
- Relevance. Shoot hot videos that you want to discuss.
- Familiar themes. Create content about what’s close to your audience. It can be both funny videos and videos on serious topics.
- Value. Think about how your video can be useful to viewers. For example, you can shoot training videos – such content is always popular.